Service Employees International Union
United Service Workers West
SEIU United Service Workers West (USWW) is comprised of 40,000 property service workers from San Diego to Sacramento. Our union brings together janitors, security officers, residential, stadium, arena and airport workers. These workers are the heart of our union and through their activism the hope for a more progressive California.
Under direction from the Director of Communications, the Northern California Communications Coordinator provides strategic media planning and communications oversight for SEIU-USWW labor campaigns. Works with leadership to implement media strategies and tactics. Responsible for writing long-term and rapid-response media outreach tools. Oversees editorial production process for media communications, ensuring timely and accurate materials with a consistent tone and message. Develops relationships with local, state, regional and national reporters and producers, pitching stories in alignment with SEIU-USWW’s priorities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees strategy, messaging, and materials development for regional efforts in Northern California — serving as liaison across various teams and committees.
- Develops relationships with local, state, regional and national reporters and pitches stories to those reporters.
- Uses a variety of resources to craft appropriate media messages, writes press releases, designs flyers, and other materials.
- Trains and coaches staff and SEIU-USWW members in media skills.
- Contributes to staff strategy meetings, and stays current on substantive policy, messaging and political developments in major organizing campaigns by reading latest literature, attending meetings and maintaining contact with relevant sources.
- Contributes to management of SEIU-USWW’s online communications and social media.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- B.A. degree in communications, journalism, or a closely related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3 years prior experience as a journalist, media liaison or other position involving media/press relations.
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated basic knowledge of labor issues and national politics.
- Ability to interact cooperatively and effectively with staff, USWW members, and the public.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines and work under a fast paced environment.
- Experience with coordinating digital media and online organizing a plus.
- Experience with design programs for basic materials production a plus.
- Spanish language skills a plus.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to:
- SEIU United Service Workers West, Attn: Refugio Mata, Communications Director.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
SEIU is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.